The study of the processes that took place during the elections of the President of the Russian Federation in 1996 and 2000 is relevant today, when our country is on the verge of new elections in 2018. With the election of the country's leader, not only the new political reality is determined, but also the trajectory and algorithm of socio-political and socio-economic development of the country are formed, considering the many challenges and threats that arise today and will arise in the world tomorrow. The author of this article analyzes the use of media opportunities as an important resource for influencing the public opinion during the presidential elections in 1996 and 2000. Comparing features of the elections, the author concludes that in 1996 the nature of the relationship between the authorities and the mass media was complicated, since the media at that time was largely an independent institution of the political system that influenced the formation of the public opinion. However, the representatives of the political and economic elite supported the incumbent President Boris Yeltsin in his decision to be re-elected for a second term and managed to attract the media resources to achieve this goal. By the time of the election in 2000, the Russian media were already under the control of the authorities as well as financial and industrial groups, and therefore the use of effective technologies allowed Vladimir Putin to construct the image of a determined politician and ensure his victory within a short time.
1. Avchenko V. Teoriia i praktika politicheskikh manipuliatsii v sovremennoi Rossii [Theory and practice of political manipulation in modern Russia]. Teoreticheskie i prikladnye aspekty rechevogo obshcheniia [Theoretical and Applied Aspects of Speech Communication], vol. 1 (8). Krasnoiarsk, 1999. Available at: https://psyfactor.org/polman.htm
2. Avchenko V. Vybory Prezidenta RF v 1996 godu. ‘Sem'ia’: pobeda liuboi tsenoi [Election of the President of the Russian Federation in 1996. ‘Family’: Victory at any Cost]. Available at: https://psyfactor.org/polman3.htm (Date of access 27.04.2017).
3. Avramchenko R.F. Put' Putina: do prezidenta ili reformatora? Novaia kontseptsiia razvitiia Rossii [Putin's Way: To the President or Reformer? New concept of Development of Russia]. Мoscow, 2000. 87 р.
4. Brim R., Kosova L.B. Fenomen V. Putina: morfologiia i semantika massovoi populiarnosti V. Putin's phenomenon: Morphology and semantics of mass popularity]. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniia: ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny [Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes], 2000, no. 3, pp. 18–22.
5. Bykova O. N. Iazykovoe manipulirovanie [Language manipulation]. Teoreticheskie i prikladnye aspekty rechevogo obshcheniia [Theoretical and Applied Aspects of Speech Communication], vol. 1 (8). Krasnoiarsk, 1999, рр. 91–103. Available at: ecoling-kras.ru
6. Korzhakov A.V. Boris El'tsin: ot rassveta do zakata [Boris Yeltsin: From Dawn to Dusk]. Moscow: Interbuk, 1997, p. 319.
7. Lovenhardt J. Elections of the President of Russia in 1996. Journal of Communist Studies and Transition Politics, 1997, no. 1, March, pp. 127–139.
8. Markov E.A. Navstrechu vyboram: izvlekaem uroki iz proshlogo [Towards elections: We draw lessons from the past]. Ezhekvartal'nyi nauchno-metodicheskii zhurnal [Quarterly Scientific-Methodical Journal], 2011, no. 1, pp. 54–59. URL: http://chereng.ru/nauka/jurnal/files/ ENMG_1(1).pdf (Date of access 28.04.2017).
9. McFaul M. Russia's 1996 presidential election: the end of polarized politics. Stanford: Hoover Institution Press, 1997. 170 p.
10. Oslon A. Kak v 1996 godu Analiticheskaia gruppa sdelala oprosy sotsial'nym faktom [How in 1996, the Analytical Group made surveys a social fact]. Sotsiologicheskaia real'nost'. Zhurnal sotsiologicheskikh nabliudenii i soobshchenii [Sociological Reality. Journal of Sociological Observations and Reports], 2006, no. 6.
11. Ot El'tsina k... El'tsinu: prezidentskaia gonka-96 [From Yeltsin to ... Yeltsin: Presidential Race-96]. Moscow: Terra, 1997. 632 p.
12. Pestsov S.K., Smirnov A.V. Rossiiskie vybory – 2000: kharakternye osobennosti i protsedury [Russian elections – 2000: Characteristics and procedures]. Vlast' [Power], 2000, no. 9, pp. 17–23.
13. Popov E. Rossiiskaia politicheskaia elita na rubezhe XX–XXI vv. [Russian political elite at the turn of the 20th –21st centuries]. Konstruirovanie sotsial'nogo poriadka s pomoshch'iu kommunikativnykh tekhnologii [Construction of Social Order through Communicative Technologies]. Vladivostok, 2001. 142 p.
14. Popova O.V. Modeli identifikatsii osnovnykh kandidatov na post Prezidenta [Models of identification of the main candidates for the post of President]. Politicheskii imidzh: sekrety manipuliatsii massovym soznaniem [Political Image: Secrets of Manipulating the Mass Consciousness]. St Petersburg, 2000, pp. 145–156.
15. Schneider E. Die russische Präsidentschaftswahl 1996. Bericht des BIOst. Köln, 1996, no. 50.
16. Shevtsova L.F. Rezhim Borisa El'tsina [The Regime of Boris Yeltsin]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 1999. 535 p.
17. Simon G. Präsidentschaftswahlen in Russland: Jelzin oder Sjuganow. Aktuelle Analysen des BIOst (Köln), 1996, no. 39.
18. Sogrin V.V. Politicheskaia istoriia sovremennoi Rossii. 1985–2001: ot Gorbacheva do Putina [Political History of Modern Russia. 1985–2001: From Gorbachev to Putin]. Moscow: Ves' mir, 2001. 262 p.
19. Turovskii R.F. Regional'nye osobennosti prezidentskikh vyborov 2000 g. [Regional features of presidential elections in 2000]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Ser. 12: Politicheskie nauki [Bulletin of Moscow University. Ser. 12: Political Science], 2000, no. 4, pp. 38–54.
20. Thompson J.B. Ideology and Modern Culture. Critical Social Theory in the Era of Mass Communication. Cambridge, 1992.
21. Uzhin Anatoliia Chubaisa s ‘The FT’ [Dinner of Anatoly Chubais with ‘The FT’]. Available at: https://psyfactor.org/polman3.htm
22. Vybory Prezidenta RF v 2000 g. Arkhiv politicheskoi reklamy [Elections of the President of the Russian Federation in 2000. Political Advertising Archive].
23. Zudin A., Riabov A. Osobennosti kampanii-2000 i ikh vliianie na konfiguratsiiu vlastvuiushchei elity [Features of campaign 2000 and their impact on the configuration of the ruling elite]. Rossiia v izbiratel'nom tsikle 1999–2000 godov [Russia in the Electoral Cycle of 1999–2000]. Мoscow, 2000, рр. 421–428.
Russian presidential election, electorate, political technologies, mass media, politics
Markov E. The use of media opportunities during the presidential elections in Russia in 1996 and 2000. Historia provinciae – the journal of regional history, 2017, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 23–37. DOI: 10.23859/2587-8352-2017-1-3-2