Seminar program July 1–2, 2021
Cherepovets State University
Historia Provinciae – the Journal of Regional History
Cherepovets Branch of the Russian Society for Intellectual Histor
hold the next session of the Interdisciplinary Scientific Theoretical Workshop
on July 1–2, 2021
on the subject
The Phenomenon of Identity: Philosophical and Historical Aspects
The problem of cultural identification has acquired special significance in the process of the development of the European individual’s self-consciousness. The projections of its existence can be traced back to various historical eras and cultural landscapes, but in the global world of today, its topicality is becoming more and more pronounced. Broad transformations of universal cultural codes and social moral norms lead to the rejection of the idea of identity itself. The traditional aspiration to the universal sameness, unity, and integrity is replaced with the triumph of permanent otherness and manifests itself in most precise specification of the forms of human activity and extreme individualization of the existence of personality.
Topics planned for discussion:
· The phenomenon of identity in culture: universality of sameness and specificity of difference
· Sameness and difference as strategies of sociocultural communication
· Identity and otherness: connotations of the concepts (sameness / unity / generality / integrity versus difference / plurality / peculiarity / individuality)
· The problem of social identification of the individual: a human being as a personality and a citizen versus social determinants and prerogatives
· Historical practices in realization of cultural identity
· Hellenes and barbarians: identification principles in ancient culture
· Religious versus social identity in the Middle Ages
· The Age of Discovery and cultural identity of the early modern European individual: civilization contra savagery
· Sameness and difference as principles of metaphysics and social philosophy of the Modern Age
· Sameness and difference in Hegel’s Philosophy of Absolute Spirit
· Difference as a principle of Post-modern culture and philosophy
· Liquid reality of today: transformations of forms and practices of sociocultural identification in the contemporary global world
· Identity incidents
· Self-identification and interpretation of identity processes in ego-documents
The workshop will be held in blended online format (the option of absentia participation is not included); participation fee is not charged.
If you are interested in taking part in the project, please email the subject of your paper and brief information about yourself and you scientific status no later than April 15, 2021.
Short abstracts of the papers will be posted on the website of the journal Historia Provinciae – the Journal of Regional History (hpchsu.ru); the results of the discussion will be published in the collected papers of the workshop and in a themed issue of the journal Historia Provinciae – the Journal of Regional History.
On December 2, 2019, Historia Provinciae – the Journal of Regional History was included in the List of Peer-Reviewed Academic Journals where major scientific results of theses for academic degrees of doctor and candidate of sciences should be published in the following scientific specialties: 07.00.02 National History (Historical Sciences); 07.00.03 World History (of a corresponding period) (Historical Sciences);07.00.09 Historiography, Source Study and Methods of Historical Research (Historical Sciences); 07.00.15 History of International Relations and Foreign Policy (Historical Sciences).
Applications for participation should include the subject of the paper and are to be emailed to the head of the organizing committee, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor of Cherepovets State University, Editor-in-chief of the journal Historia Provinciae – the Journal of Regional History Olga Yu. Solodyankina email@example.com
The organizing committee reserves the right to reject applications that do not correspond to the subject of the workshop.